Monday, June 21, 2010

Hidden Posters

You're like me—and we both love mid-century design. Particularly graphic/poster design. Oh, and we both love when things are discovered in their natural habitat. It's like they've been just waiting for us to be appreciated again. Which is why I know you'll love this as much as I did. Renovations at Notting Hill Gate Tube Station have recently uncovered these posters in a now non-public area of the station. This is where the elevators (lifts as it were) used to be, but when escalators were put in, this area was simply closed off. But with renovation comes exploration and they were found again. And aren't we thrilled? Check it out.
Hidden Posters
Hidden Posters
There are a handful more images on the London Underground Flickr page, but I've shared most of what they've got up. Since I am a notorious player-of-favorites, I have decided on one poster in particular to focus on. That little "travel Royal Blue" sailor on the end is so cute I can barely handle it. His little red nose and pipe and fantastic striped blue hat are so perfect. Certainly makes me want to get on that funny little blue bus. Thanks to Grain Edit I found out that the illustrator of that poster is a Ms. Daphne Padden. And she has created some other exceptional travel posters.
Mid-Century posters
Mid-Century posters
I love this child-like, jovial illustration style. And because I can't help myself, I've established a favorite: isn't the yellow-bearded sailor in the bottom right poster the cutest with that little cat? Boy oh boy. I would love to have that (or any of the others for that matter) hanging in my little house. Let me know if you discover one somewhere won't you? (Thanks to the Daphne Padden poster set on Flickr for sharing these great images!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...