Thursday, September 29, 2011

Moving In: A House on the Hudson

Have you seen The Family Stone? It's this pseudo-Christmas movie that I think is actually quite charming and lovely but a lot of people I know really don't like it. Maybe it's because it's a little dark and heavy for a Holiday film or maybe it's because it has Sarah Jessica Parker in it (people seem to have a really strong opinion of her one way or the other... usually the other). Anyway, I love it. I watch it all year 'round. I think one of the reasons I love it is because of the family house. It's so warm and full and reflects a life devoted to beautiful and creative things. You should see it if for no other reason than the set is inspiring. That said, when I ran across this Hudson Valley home on Martha Stewarts site it really reminded me of the Stone house and I thought you might like to see it.
The owner is the gorgeous white-haired lady in the first row of photos. I love to see the people who live in these spaces - you can attach so much personality to their faces when you look at the rooms they inhabit. She's done a wonderful job of incorporating classical pieces in an eclectic and not-at-all stuffy manner. The house sits on 87 acres and the house looks quite big, so I bet she wouldn't mind company.
House on the Hudson
House on the Hudson
All images are from Martha (and there are even a handful more including a charming craft room she made for her twelve grandkids. Lucky kids.)

4 comments:

  1. Love this and I really like that movie for the same reason. The house itself feels like a character!

    ReplyDelete
  2. People do have such a strong opinion about SJP. I do quite like her myself :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. People do have such a strong opinion about SJP. I do quite like her myself :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that movie. It is one of my favourite holidays treats. It is real and not sugar coated. And beautiful to watch. Love this house too. Thanks for the tour! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...